DeQuervain's Tynosynovitis Physiotherapy Brisbane Southside.
What is De Quervain's Tendinopathy?
De Quervain's Tendinopathy, often referred to as De Quervain's Tenosynovitis, is an inflammatory condition that affects the tendons on the thumb side of the wrist. People with this condition often experience pain and swelling when forming a fist, grasping objects, or turning the wrist. It's commonly associated with repetitive activities that strain the wrist and thumb.
How is De Quervain's Tendinopathy Diagnosed?
- Finkelstein's Test: This involves bending the thumb across the palm and then bending the fingers down over the thumb. Pain on the thumb side of the wrist during this movement suggests De Quervain's Tendinopathy.
- Clinical Examination: A physiotherapist or doctor will evaluate the wrist and thumb area for swelling, pain, and range of motion.
- Patient History: Discussing the onset, nature, and activities that might have precipitated the symptoms.
How Can Physiotherapy Help with De Quervain's Tendinopathy?
- Splinting: Keeping the wrist and thumb stable can reduce irritation on the affected tendons.
- Manual Therapy: Soft tissue treatments to improve the mobility and flexibility of the wrist and thumb.
- Strength and Conditioning: Exercises to strengthen the wrist and thumb muscles, reducing strain on tendons.
- Activity Modification: Guidance on changing or avoiding activities that exacerbate the symptoms.
What is the Prognosis for De Quervain's Tendinopathy?
With appropriate treatment, most individuals with DE Quervain's Tendinopathy experience a full recovery. Early intervention, such as physiotherapy, increases the chances of quick and complete relief. In rare, persistent cases, corticosteroid injections or surgery might be recommended.
Understanding the Risk Factors
- Repetitive Hand Movements: Tasks that involve repetitive wrist and thumb actions, such as typing, gardening, or certain sports.
- Pregnancy and Postpartum: Hormonal changes and lifting the baby can contribute to its development.
- Medical Conditions: Rheumatoid arthritis or other inflammatory conditions can be predisposing factors.
Your comfort and well-being are paramount to us. Our clinic utilises the latest research and best practices to ensure comprehensive care tailored to your unique needs. If you suspect you have De Quervain's or are experiencing wrist and thumb pain, our experienced team is here to assist you. Let us guide you on the path to recovery and optimal hand health, don't hesitate to book in a session with our physiotherapists today!
If you're looking for a Tarragindi or Coorparoo Physiotherapist for wrist pain treatment give us a call on 07 3706 3406 or email email@example.com.